What is a Hashtag?
Hashtag is just a symbol or sign “#” that has become a very important part of social media. When people search topics related to their interest hashtag is used to get a quick reach to the content related to the same topic. For example, #digitalindia #worldcup2019
Hashtags are mostly used on every social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest. Hashtags soared fame on Twitter.
Anyone who is all ready to post some content on any of the social media platform can use hashtags to get a larger reach to the public.
Hashtags are also used to spread awareness. People can use hashtags to raise awareness about disasters, crime, wars etc. We ourselves feel compelled to use hashtags and raise awareness when above mentioned issues happen.
For example, a hashtag has been created for Sudan crisis #ArmysHelpSudan so that we can raise awareness about the situation happening there. Twitter is flooded with this hashtag so that people know about the Sudan crisis.
Basic rules to use hashtags
- Space between letters and numbers are not allowed.
- Punctuation or any other symbol except “#” is not allowed.
- You have to start with the hashtag symbol itself i.e. #. For example, #fashion.
PICKING A GOOD HASHTAG
- Be unique- Think of the hashtag that is not being used often by people. Hashtags with greatest amount of posts won’t help you grow your reach. For example, hashtag such as #foodie is seen most often, so if you use this hashtag then your post will be pushed far down the hashtag stream, that is why it is important to think of a unique hashtag for your post.
- Be clear – An unclear or vague concept won’t be able to gain attention of the community because they won’t be able to understand the concept.
- Keep it short- Long hashtags are hard to read and people can also misspell them.
It has become very important to learn how to use hashtags in this new digital world. So, to grow your brand or business in social media platforms it is must for you to know the game of Hashtags.